Monday, June 14, 2004

Trying to catch up

Pardon me for being completely out of date with respect to movies, but this past week I was finally able to see two movies I had wanted to see for a while: Mystic River and Lost in Translation. First I saw Lost in Translation and I must say it was quite enjoyable. Even though no real plot was apparent in my eyes, it left me with an overall good feeling. A very serene feeling. I can't explain it. Next it was on to Mystic River. Now despite the great acting I was kind of disappointed with the ending. I dont know what I expected, and I'm not upset that it wasn't some fairy tale little happy ending, it just felt like it shouldn't have been over yet. Is it weird that I find Sean Penn hot? I think its the whole "bad boy with power" thing.

For anyone more in line with current movies, for what its worth, my sister saw Saved and said it was funny. My mom saw Stepford Wives and said it was a clear disappointment. I still don't understand why the would try to make it comedic. I think I'll skip the new one and rent the original.

As far as upcoming movies, I think The Notebook (shut up Brian),The Terminal, Napoleon Dynamite, and Garden State, might be the only reasons I make it out to the theatre this summer.

Also, in an effort to become more cinematically aware, I have compiled a list of movies that I would like to see, as many have slated them as "classics". They are as follows:

The Graduate
Casablanca
Clockwork Orange
Lawrence of Arabia (my dad would be so proud)
Vertigo
An Affair to Remember
Dr. Zhivago
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Annie Hall
Fiddler on the Roof

If you care to suggest another along these lines (no,I could care less about the Matrix), feel free.

No comments: