Friday, May 28, 2004

Giddy Up

Well tonight I fly out of Orlando to Chicago to begin what should be a very interesting and fun road trip back to Florida. Ann has the whole thing mapped out perfectly and I feel confident in saying that I have absolutely no idea what route we are taking or any other vital information you would think I would make myself aware of for this trip. I figure, if she tells me now I will most likely just have to ask again later, so I am actually saving time. It turns out that not only will we be encountering Memorial Day weekend traffic, but that we will be on the same route as those traveling to the Indy 500 which begins Sunday. What fun.

I've only been on one other road trip besides this one (meaning one of 20+ hours)--and that one was definitely one for the books. The week after Junior year of college broke for summer, 6 of us piled into a van and set off for Missouri (one of my friend's family lives there and let us all stay in their kick ass house). We grilled out, jet skied in their lake, golfed and pretty much had the best time ever. Later on in the week we left Missouri and set out for the Kentucky Derby. Man what a day that was. I vaguely recall seeing horses, but thank God I have pictures to prove that we actually did watch the derby race. All of us were probably the most drunk we had ever been..and of course when they are selling bottled water for $6 and Mint Juleps for $3--being sound economic professionals, we opted for the money saving beverage.

I had never known that actually getting into the derby was such a feat. Well let me correct myself.. getting in WITH ALCOHOL was a feat. The night before the derby, we watched experienced derby goers as they prepared their alcohol smuggling schemes. They had water bottles filled with Vodka and had then glue gunned the tops back on because apparently security checked the seals. We had bottles of soda that had been opened, half emptied, and then the same tactic was applied. They knew what juice bottles to get that looked "most natural" when tampered with, and what 2 liters to buy that would perfectly match our alcohol needs of the day. We all listened as they told us stories about hollowing out bread loaves and inserting bottles into them as well as acting like it was no big deal when they searched our cooler. It was crazy---crazy fun.

I think everyone at some point should try and take a road trip even to some place that doesnt sound even remotely interesting. Its the company you keep that makes the trip worthwhile. Although it has its downsides-- (6 people, 6 peoples worth of luggage- all in one van for 25 hours-- you do the math)- it can be one of the most amazing experiences ever.

I'll be back Tuesday...have a great Memorial Day weekend!

No comments: