Thursday, May 20, 2004

Here's your ticket to heaven, oh and umm...have some koolaid

Ok, so there should be a new law that peepholes in apartment doors should be at least at the 5 foot level. In most apartments, this is not a problem, but for some reason in my last 2 apartments you have to be at least 5'5 to see out the peephole. This of course results in me either yelling "who is it?" or having to run and get a stool(mildly entertaining to watch). Well, since I always pretty much know who is coming over and when, when I got a knock on my door on Tuesday, thinking it was my sister, I opened up the door. Mistake. There stood 2 old men and one older lady with bibles in their hands. Oh great, no turning back now. Ok, so they tell me they are from some Baptist church and ask if I wouldnt mind participating in a short survery for them. So I thought, ok what the heck, a few questions wont hurt (yea Im dumb). So they proceed to ask me questions like "Why is church important?" "What do you think the church should do to reach out to others?" etc etc etc...OK, so not too bad. Then it came. The guy starts this little story using this picture box thing. Ok, so I indulge him and listen. Hes going on and on about the Bible and stories from the past. Then he stops and says (mid-story)- "so you know what we need?....a blood sacrifice". I hadnt really been paying attention to the story but when three strangers are talking to you outside your door and the words "blood sacrifice" come out of their mouths, well you start to listen. At this moment I'm thinking "Oh my God, these people are from a cult and are going to push me into my apartment and sacrifice me". I got really scared for a minute because his pause was so long after he had spoken those words. Finally, he continued and showed in his little picture box that he was referring to Jesus dying on the cross. Phew. So anyways, I was definitely ready to close my door then, but he persisted in asking me "Do you want me to help you make sure you go to heaven?". So I responded "no thanks, I'm already going". He didnt really like that answer and started on and on with Bible quotes. After a few more rounds of the same exact question I got pretty irritated. Who are these people that think that THEY have the power to make sure I get to heaven? Anyways, they got frustrated with my answers, shoved some literature in my hand, and went upon their way, where I listened, giggling to myself, as my neighbors went through the same thing. In summation, always use a peephole.

No comments: