Tuesday, May 25, 2004

"Consideration for others is the basis of a good life, a good society"- Confucius

Maybe it's because I was brought up well, or maybe it is because people are just idiots, but I have come to see that very rarely do people have manners anymore.

Case 1: Common Knowledge- at work
There are a a good amount of people here that defy the laws of ettiquette almost on a daily basis. These arent just any manners they are breaking, but the ones that any human should instinctively know. There is this guy who always seems to be "running" somewhere. Thats not a problem, but he is constantly running INTO people around corners without saying "excuse me" or anything, he just kind of gives you that deer in the headlights look. He also doesnt seem to haven any manners when it comes to the elevator. Everytime we come up to our floor, the doors open and he is there and walks right in, before we can even get out, causing everyone to shift around him. It really amazes me that he still does this.

Case 2: PDA's
Some people have taken this much further than should be allowed for the public to see. I have no problem with exchanging a kiss with your loved one, but I dont need to see your mouth open to the size of a honeydew while you attempt to devour his/her face. When I was at the mall a couple of weeks ago I saw this couple, both of them no older than 13, and they were speaking to the girls mother. Nothing weird about that. Well, except for the fact that the 13 yr old boy had his arms draped all over the girl, rubbing her body and kissing her neck as they both spoke to her mom who acted like nothing was wrong with the whole thing. Gross. No daughter or son of mine will ever behave that way in front of me. What are these kids thinking?

Case 3: Personal Space
This might be one of the biggest pet peeves of mine. When I was at Islands of Adventure this past weekend I got an unhealthy dose of this lack of personal space. Lines are squishy to begin with, so the last thing I want is people leaning up on me,when they dont need to be, in 90 degree weather. There was this girl behind me who for some reason always had to have her skin touching mine. This was like a 16 yr old girl- and we werent THAT squished. Then of course I had a group of girls behind me who were laughing and joking around and continually kept bumping into me. After the first bump they did the "oh sorry", but after the bumps that followed they acted like it didnt even happen. Now maybe I'm weird, but when someone bumps me hard, even as an accident, it lights something up in me and my hands turn to fists. I just have no tolerance for it. It took me 2 death stares and one blatant "excuse me" to get these girls to realize they were pissing me off.

Case 4: Pleasantries
Please and Thank-you. Two age old building blocks of the manner code. "Please"- 1 second to say, "Thank-you"- 1.5 seconds to say----so why dont people say it? I use to work as a hostess at a restaurant in college and it amazed me how I would say "Hi, how are you doing today?" and they would respond saying "2, non-smoking, booth". Is it really that hard to say "hello"? I mean do certain people have some kind of condition that prevents them from saying things of this sort? The worst is when they would leave and I would say "have a good day/night" and they would look me in the eye, and walk out the door. Unbelievable.

No comments: