Wednesday, May 26, 2004

A Newfound Appreciation

So I know I've hit IT guy's pretty hard on this blog just based on my experience working and studying in IT.

Well this morning when I booted up my computer at work, it decided that it would remove the option to connect to my company's network- which therefore didn't allow me to log on at all. So I call IS&T, put in my work order, yada yada yada-- they will be by soon to fix it.

Meanwhile, 4 hours later, I am still at my desk with no computer functionality. Whats weird is that I dont really care and have no desire to go home. Instead I pull out this awesome book I got on NYC and begin reading.

Finally, I call back after lunch to see what is taking so long. I am told that the guy assigned to my case is working on another problem and most likely wont be able to make it over to me until tomorrow morning. Then the guy says that if I bring my laptop over to him he can probably fix it there.

So off I go, laptop in hand, venturing to the IS&T section of the other building. I had never been there before and let me just tell you, it is like a different world there. Things that I have never seen computerized are on a screen there, available to whoever is walking by. The guy who helped me had more books in his cubicle than I have probably had to use in my highschool and college careers combined. Of course these arent just any books, they are about 8 inches thick and on topics that would first lead me to endure physical torture if it meant I didn't have to read them. This guy had 4 HUGE screens in his cube, plus 2 laptops, all of which were running. I watched him at work and in awe as he fixed up my computer in about 2 minutes. As I left his cube, I passed through a series of little hallways, which were adorned with certificate after certificate of whoevers cube I was passing at the time. Amazing.

I came away from this with a newfound appreciation for this IT department, and IT employees in general. Your technical skills amaze me and I think you rock- in a cool, dorky sort of way.

PS- The guy I emailed about lunch responded today with this:

I’ll disregard the spreadsheet. But regarding “lunch or something sometime,” I would love that. I’ll be back in the office for a few weeks next week. Mind if we catch up then?

Score. Sort of. I mean I'm not exactly trying to date him, since I dont know his gf situation. Either way, now I'm nervous, but what else is new.

No comments: