Friday, May 14, 2004

So which one are you?

After years and years of movie watching I have categorized movie watchers into a few different categories. If I have left any out, let me know.

They are as follows:

The analyzer: This person watches the movie, and rips it apart afterwards saying "well that could never happen", "that wasn't realistic", etc. Is it so hard to "imagine"? They take a great movie and make it so that if you did like it before, you dont anymore.

The questioner
: This person likes to ask questions before anything happens even if you haven't seen it before. Therefore, you miss all of the text that follows. "Is he going to die?" How the hell should I know? Watch the movie and shut it.

The sleeper:This is the person who falls asleep for about half of the movie and then wakes up at the very end, not asking any questions....and then after the movie says it sucked or was just "ok".

The multi-tasker: This refers to home watching mainly, but its one of those people that starts out watching the movie, and then about 20 minutes into it gets up to unload the dishwasher, or do some laundry, or make some food, or whatever. Then they come back and do the whole "ok so what did I miss?". Is it so hard for people to sit still for 2 hrs? If you can't committ to that I say don't watch the movie.

The phone talker: Now this one can definitely get to you. Its the person who answers their cell in the middle of the movie and continues to have a conversation sitting right there versus going into another room. Everyone in the meantime is straining to hear as their rage builds. I swear these phone talker people are mental.

The movie snob: This is the person that is a complete movie buff and has a huge appreciaton for film. That's good and all, but what comes with that are strict criteria for their viewing pleasure. The movie must be shown in a "good theatre" which I'm guessing is comprised of a suitable screen, stadium seating, and a great sound system. I have had to walk out of a movie I went to see with one of these characters, because they weren't showing it on the biggest screen and he therefore couldn't enjoy it.

The normal, prepared viewer
: This is the one I LOVE--because its the one that I am. This person gets all of their "to-do's" done before the movie and is able to sit there through the whole thing and just watch the movie without questions, errands, sleeping, or whatever. A lot of people think they are the normal viewer, but in fact are not.

Soooo, which one are you? Now don't everyone lie and try to be the normal one, because deep down you know the truth...and so do your fellow movie watchers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha this is the first time i read ur blog and this is SO true...
i have been with every one of these people. my mom sleeps through the movie, my brother asks questions, and my good friend has no imagination for the part...i'd like to think that I'm the normal movie person, but i may have a hint of movie snob in me...but the categories are right on track! lol