Tuesday, May 11, 2004

And so it begins...

Well as you all know I am thrilled, but it all seems so surreal at this point.

Since I am a nerd and have an incessant need to "plan", I was already on craigslist this morning looking at some apartments. I know its early but I just wanted to get a feel for what was out there. So anyways, I found this great apartment, pics look great, good neighborhood, so I emailed the realtor saying that Im sure its to early for this apartment but if he knew of anything opening that was similar to this apt, in the August timeframe. The conversation that followed is somewhat interesting:

Realtors response to my original inquiry: I will ask the owner of the building, but you may be looking too soon.

Me: Yea, I figured as much. Can I ask you a question? My friend and I are moving there in late August and one of us will be attending NYU and the other will be at Fordham. What neighborhood would you suggest as a good middle ground between the 2 schools?

Realtor: Where is Fordham again? (um ok, fair enough I guess, but I would think an NYC realtor would be up to date on this kind of info)

Me: It is in the Lincoln Center area

Realtor: Where is Lincoln Center? (OK- LOL- WTF? I KNOW he has to know where Lincoln Center is even if he IS a moron---at this point I dont know what the heck is going on)

Me: Lincoln Center is in the Upper West Side ( I attached a map- I cant believe I am attaching a map to give to a realtor of a city I dont live in, but one that he makes his money in based on real estate)

Realtor: She'd take the cross town bus, you'd take the downtown 4,5 express.

Me: (in disbelief)- Well thank you, that was helpful, but what I was really asking was if you could suggest a neighborhood to look in for apartments that would be between to the 2 schools.

Realtor: You'd have to live those lifestyles to figure it out. I am about as clueless as you are. When you are in town, call me and I can show you some apartments.

HAHAHHAHA-- Did this conversation actually just happen? Does he honestly think I am going to call a realtor that didnt even know where Lincoln Center was?

Oh man- I hope they all aren't like this. Any of you New Yorkers have a suggestion as far as location to look?

No comments: