Thursday, May 27, 2004

Comes with the territory

As you are most likely aware, there are statements coming from the Attorney General warning the U.S. of possible Al Qaeda attacks this summer.
Apparently there has been "credible intelligence" from different sources saying that the plans for an attack on the U.S. are almost complete and that they plan to "hit the U.S. hard".

This has always been something scary to hear of course, but now it hits me in a different way. One of the possible targets of terrorism this summer is the Republican National Convention in NYC. The convention is being held August 30- Sept. 2, which means I will be living there for about a week by then.

The feeling that this gives me is a sense of helplessness. There is nothing I can do to prevent anything like that, or prepare myself for anything like that. I guess I can just avoid the Madison Square Garden area on those days. I suppose this is all part of moving to New York City and is something that comes with the territory. It is definitely frightening though. How do you New Yorkers deal with the stress of something like this possibly happening?

No comments: