Monday, May 03, 2004

He got me

*Well it has been a funfilled sasserworm morning. Why is it that when a virus is out and spreading like wildfire everyone becomes either a wannabe IT genius or a 5 year old child? About an hour after we all logged in this morning we were all greeted with the lovely "your system will be shutting down in 50 seconds" box. I had seen this before and I knew it was a virus, however, people in here were going nuts. Keep in mind that I am the only IT person in a marketing department. I had to laugh as I hear all these people throughout the hallways "wow whats going on??" or "oh my god its shutting down again!!" - "I thought this is what our antivirus software is suppose to prevent!!". Yea well I laughed too soon because before I knew it there was a little line outside my cubicle asking my "techie" advice. What do they think I am, the gatekeeper of all virus patches? Has no one ever heard of www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com? Well, since I am such a wonderfully nice girl, I helped anyone who needed it by simply finding the patch and installing it. So I am once again hailed by them as some computer genius when all I did was something most 10yr olds can now do.

*So what is it about hunger that make people go nuts? I'm not sure, but I was reminded by how crazy people can be when I went to go heat up my lunch this afternoon. We have 2 microwaves on the whole floor, which everyone shares to heat up their food. There is the white one, which is the crappy one and you have to add on about 4 minutes to the time it would take a normal microwave to cook our food thoroughly. Then there is the coveted black one--this one is the new one that everyone tries to get to first. So anyways, I walk into the kitchen, go to the fridge to grab my lunch and then proceed across the room to the black microwave which is luckily not in use----then I hear her. From around the corner, like we were in some football game, comes this lady sprinting, with lean cusine in hand, towards the black microwave. She of course gets there waaay before me, considering I am not a nutbar and am simply WALKING to the micro. She then pops her food in, punches 7 minutes into the timer, and then looking very pleased with herself, exists out the other door. Lucky for her that other micro was available or else it would have been go time.

PS- If my letter was mailed on Friday, it could be here today. Cross your fingers.

No comments: