Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Tenacity Pays

Well I'm not sure why, or how to explain it, but certain things just seem to work out. On occassion this happens on its own, but from my experience, I think its because Im not a quitter. I just dont give up easily, not for things that are important anyways.
 
Like this apartment. This lady was interested, but we weren't able to make contact again until today when she told me they put in an application on another place. I decided it wasn't over yet. I sent her back an email highlighting all the great things about my place and why it would be great for her daughter. She called me 10 minutes later, her daughter wants to see the place, and since its a much better deal, if she likes it, they want to get it. Holy Lord. So I am running out at lunch today to show this girl the place, and I am sure she will like it. I really dont think I can handle anymore disappointment or stress this week. For this to work out would be so freaking great. I'm so glad I emailed her back.
 
Another example...
There is this lady at work who is about, well maybe 65 or so, but she is the rudest little thing there is. I dont know if she is just grumpy or something but she is all about not smiling at someone when they smile at her, just nodding her head when someone says hello, and the one that gets me the most....if she is right in front of you walking through a door, she will make NO effort to keep the door open, and will just let it shut in your face. This has happened to me many times with her.
 
So I got stubborn and made it my mission for this lady to smile at me and God forbid hold a door. Ive been doing this for months...going out of my way to open doors for her, smiling at her, telling her to have a good weekend...all of it. Then today.....it happened.  I was walking outside to use my cellphone and she was ahead of me. As she walked out the door, she hesitated for a second, then turned around and kept the door open for me....as I almost dropped my cellphone from shock. All these months and it finally worked. For anyone who has seen "Under the Tuscan Sun", it made me feel just like Diane Lane felt at the end when that little old man finally acknowledged her waving. It was so great, and now that I think about it...it was nothing-but kinda nice to think that maybe she will be opening doors for other people now.
 
I was talking to my sister the other day about how crazy it is that with one action or one decision you make, you alter your path in life as well as the lives of others. Its thrilling and scary all at the same time. At the time you dont think of it as anything, until you look back and see how that one decision set off a chain reaction of events that ends up shaping your existence.  I look back and think "what if this" and "what if I didnt do that", and its just mind boggling to imagine where I would be right now. I love where I am right now. I love that I have the ability and support to choose what I want to do with my life, where I want to live, what I want to experience, and I love the fact that I make my own happiness and my own success. I've learned over the years that Ive gottent to where I am because I have been no one but myself. Im not a kiss ass and I never will be. I use to think that would harm my future in business, but I know now that I would never want to be in a postion in which I had to do that just to be kept around, that's why I left my last job.
 
I guess I'm just happy. So thanks to everyone out there who has affected my life in a positive way. Thanks to those people I may not remember who taught me in subtle ways everything from manners to respect for others. Most importantly, thanks to my parents, who are pretty much the best there are. And a special thanks to my mom, where I get my hard-ass tenacity from- her gift of never giving up and always staying positive is the best I've ever received. 

No comments: