Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Close encounters of the famous kind

I was reading something the other day on celebrity sightings and that got me thinking about the possible increase in "stars" I might see due to my upcoming move to Manhattan. The thing that stinks though, is that there could be tons of different famous people around me and I wouldnt even know it. Writers, directors, politicians, you name it...I am familiar with names, but most likely wouldn't have any clue if I saw them on the street.

So anyways, Im interested in knowing of any experiences you readers have had with a so-called celebrities, especially those of you who live in nyc. My friend was telling me that she was reading something about what NYU grads will miss most and the majority said something like "I'll miss walking to class and seeing Benicio Del Toro pass me by". Now dont get me wrong, Im not one of those star-stuck crazies that if I see someone famous Im going to run over to them and bother them...not at all. I probably wouldnt even say anything to them...maybe try to snap a pic without them seeing, but what are the chances I would even be carrying a camera? Slim.

Well, since Ive lived in Melbourne, Fl for most of my life and Orlando for about 3 yrs...I have a few encounters I will share, but Im sure you all have way more.

Thanks to a lot of dancing that I did for Disney in highschool, I met a variety of stars including:
-Regis Philbin
-Kathy Lee Gifford
-Brian McKnight
-Betty White
-Brett Butler
-Ben Savage
-that "Topenga" girl from Boy Meets World
-Peabo Bryson
-Joey Lawrence
and some other people that I cant remember so they are obviously even less interesting than the ones I just listed.

other random meetings/sightings:

-Chris Tucker- I saw him on my 24th birthday in Downtown Orlando as he was coming from the Improv. I was drunk as hell, along with my friends, chatting it up with him and his friends who were in the car. I didnt even realize it was him until after we left that area and people were coming up and saying "you know that was Chris Tucker right?".

-Tracy McGrady- I was a hostess at Applebee's in Orlando during college and on one Saturday afternoon this badass black Mercedes pulled up. There was like no one in the restaurant, but as soon as I saw him I knew it was him. He was very soft spoken, but generally very polite. Oh yea, and a good tipper.

-JC Chasez- We spotted him from across the dancefloor at the Roxy nightclub in Orlando. Needless to say he was surrounded by girls...this was definitely before his nasty trucker haircut.

-Penny Hardaway- Ok so I didnt "meet" him, but a good friend of the family bought this trip from the Orlando Magic Gala that put her on a private jet with all of the Orlando Magic and flew her and the team to Chicago where they were to play the Bulls. Well since I was in love with Penny, I wrote this ridiculously silly letter to him, complete with cut out pictures and the works (ok I was like 15, gimme a break). Anyways, she gave him the letter on the plane and he really liked it, signed one of the pics on it, and sent it to me. So that was pretty cool. Too bad he turned out to be a bastard traitor. Where are ya now Penny? Yea, thats what I thought.

Ok, well I cant remember anymore offhand so that's it.

I am sure you all can top that list with one or two interesting encounters...so please, have at it.

No comments: