Thursday, July 08, 2004

How do you like them apples?

Omg. I saw the funniest thing on TV this morning. It was a spoof that Will Ferrell did, acting as Ron Burgundy, for ESPN. I think he was trying out to be a SportsCenter anchor, Im not sure as I only caught it halfway. Oh man it was so freaking hilarious and I have been trying to find it online, but have had no luck. If you happen to know what I am talking about and have found it, please send me the link!

In other news...

There is something that has been bothering me since I started my whole "move to nyc and go to grad school" mission. I'm not sure what it is, or why, but there are a good amount of people who think I am crazy for doing this. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, even if they are dumb opinions, but I have been very surprised as to who these "opinions" are coming from. Here it is: New Yorkers. Its not that they have said anything really negative about the city itself, but they seem to have a shitty response when I talk about finding a place, commuting, etc. I guess this is to be expected since most of the people I am talking to are people interested in my apartment, and moving from nyc to fl. Even so, Im starting to think that maybe NYC either makes you love it, or makes you extremely bitter. I have come to see both sides of the spectrum, but no real in between. Since I posted by apartment on Craigslist.com and no one in Orlando seems to know much about that site, I have been getting all of my offers from out of state...9 times out of 10 from nyc. I have had numerous convos with people that should be asking me questions about my place, but yet go off on some tangent about the income tax increase, how they have to pay $30 a day to park in the city, how they have 9 inches of counterspace in their kitchen, you name it, Ive heard it. I can understand why NYC may not be for them, but why do they feel the need to rant about it....like I am going to change my mind. I had a guy last night call about my apartment and he asked me where I was looking to live in nyc. I told him in the West Village. He proceeded to retort "ha, good luck, prices are crazy there...they are everywhere". Wow Mr. Bronx, I had no idea NYC would be expensive! No fucking way! Thats it, Im not going...good thing you told me.

Now of course I have talked to people like Jason, Teahouseblossom, and various others who seem to really love their nyc life. I've visited a good amount of times now, but that doesnt even matter. I knew from the first trip that I loved that city. No one can change that, only me. Am I saying that after 2 yrs of living there I wont dislike certain things? Of course not. No city is perfect, but I will find out these imperfections on my own. Until then, shut it :)

Oh, and ps, if you've never lived in nyc or even visited nyc, you have to DOUBLE shut it because you have nothing to back up your nonsense.

Example: (actual conversation)

Girl- "You're moving to nyc? Why?"

Me- "Well I think its a great city and I am going to attend graduate school"

Girl- "I cant believe you would move there, its so dirty and full of crime, and I heard that people pee in the streets!"

Me- "Have you actually ever even been to nyc?"

Girl- "No, but I've heard....."

Riiiiight.

No comments: