Friday, April 09, 2004

Easter Greetings

So with Easter coming up this weekend I can't help but recall my Easters from the past and what a big deal they were when my sisters and I were growing up. We would all try to go to bed early, Christmas Eve style, in anticipation of the next morning. I remember one Easter, I must have been like 7, I was really sick. I had about a 102 temp and woke up in the middle of the night swearing I saw the Easter Bunny outside my window. The weird thing was, I did. Was it a hallucination due to the fever? Yes. Did I understand that at the time? No. So long story short, I saw the Easter Bunny outside my window and then got so scared I threw up. Happy Easter to me.

When my sisters and I got older the festivities grew. It was like clockwork every year. I was up at 7 am, and would then wake up Lisa and Leah. Most of the time a rambunctious Lisa or Leah would awaken my parents. We would then search the whole house for our Easter baskets. My dad always did a really good job hiding them and really got a kick out of making mine impossible to find. After getting back from church later in the morning we would come home and have our easter egg hunt. Now this started out as no big deal, just me and my sisters, but eventually turned in to something other friends and families would join in on. Lisa always took the hunt so seriously, pushing by little 2 yr old Leah who was about to find her first egg and yelling at my mom for giving hints-- "youre not suppose to be hunting!!!". Oh yea, we've got it on film. Priceless.

Now, we still celebrate and all, but its just different. No more hunt for easter baskets, I think last year they were on the dining table when we woke up. We still try to do the easter egg hunt, and color eggs and all that just for fun. Well I guess its not THAT different then.

I guess whats really important no matter how old you are, is to never lose your childish enthusiasm, even for the little things. I think I've got that covered.

Happy Easter :)

No comments: