Saturday, November 13, 2004

Who needs to party when you can just do simple linear regression?

As you can probably tell, I am already bitter about my stats class again. How he manages to confuse us so quickly I will never know, but the man has a gift for it.

So I spent all day Friday at the Fordham Women In Business Conference and it was actually a very good time. The speakers were amazing and I definitely came away with a lot. Unfortunately, that experience brought forth something I have been realizing for a while that I have a problem with- remembering names. I suck at it, bigtime. I always have. I can seriously meet someone, turn around for 2 seconds, and then turn back around and have NO IDEA what their name was. Ive always known this was a problem, but I find it more critical now being in B-school where keeping contacts and networking is vital. So, in an effort to solve this little problem I am signed up for a Dale Carnegie course on "Remembering Names". I've never been to one of those courses, but I've only heard good things.

This morning Ann, Brian, and I decided to go to the "Home Restaurant" that we live directly next door to. After living here a couple of months I figured we should at least know what the place was like. My room windows overlook their garden seating, so its pretty neat to look out at night because its all lit up and people are having a jolly good time. What isnt neat is when they start setting up out there at what seems like the crack of dawn and I can almost predict now exactly what their routine is all by sounds. First they bring out the tables and set up the chairs, then they pull the canopy down (that is loud as hell) and start unloading the glasses onto the bar out there, etc,etc. Man, I should work there. As I type I am hearing them relay tonights specials. I guess thats kinda cool, depending on my mood. Anyways.......It was a good time, but not necessarily what I was expecting. Their decor suggests "Grandma's Kitchen" cooking, but the actual meals had more of an artsy-french-ish twist to them. The food was good of course, but the portions were very small. Needless to say we cleared out the bread basket. I had the "Chopped Vegetable Salad with Pepper Bacon, Grilled Chicken Sausage, Poached Egg and a Buttermilk Dressing". It was very good, but not really what I was in the mood for I guess. I guess when I think of "Home" I think of "hearty", maybe thats just me. Poor Ann got their Salami plate that sounded and seemed to taste very good, but I swear it was the smallest thing ever. Perhaps we should go back for dinner instead of brunch.

Later on we decided to stroll through Soho where from out of nowhere we started hearing these crazy cheers and all this noise. Well then we see this parade type thing coming down the street, except its not a parade. It had this band in the front and then just regularly dressed random people holding pom-poms and screaming like crazy as they walked. Everyone on the street was thinking the same thing- "what the hell??". Well apparently this was what all the hoopla was for. Some people see movie stars in Soho, I see this crap.

Oh, and this just in- ODB died. Yep, the co-founder of Wu Tang died in a recording studio today, he was only 35. Anyone who reaaaallly knows me knows that I went through a very interesting Wu Tang stage in highschool. Yep, there was nothing like driving around in my mom's minivan blasting those lovely Wu Tang lyrics. Oh dear God, I can only imagine the stages my kids will go through.

I'm off to pop a birth control pill.

No comments: