Friday, July 06, 2007

Money changes everything

So I just got back from dinner out and something came up, yet again, that continues to irk me to the point where I have bottled rage. Ok, well not rage, but I get pissy.

I'll set the scene...
You're out amongst a group of friends (maybe 6 or more) at a restaurant eating dinner. Some people order drinks, some people order appetizers, some people order $20 entrees...and some order all three. Myself on the other hand, as I feel I have been sampling far too many restaurants lately, I settled for a salad and a $12 entree that I really like. The food is enjoyed, good conversation...then the bill. It comes to like $200 at which point a few say, "ok, so divided by.....ok, everyone puts in $40 each". Umm, negative. If I only spent $19 on my dinner I sure as hell am not putting in $40.

So now I am battled with how I deal with this...since everyone else throws in their $40 and calls it a day. Not to mention, two of the people (the ones handling the cash) I have only met once before. So I decide that this time what I am going to do is just put in what I owe and let them deal with it. No one calls me on it or anything, but I couldn't help but feel guilty....and for what?? Because I paid what I owed? This kind of annoyed me. I think that unless its a group meal of similar orders that everyone should put in what they owe....when did this whole split everything no matter what start?

This all reminds me of that Friends episode where this is pretty much the entire plot line....which led me to a google search. I found not only many references to this Friends episode, but tons of comments on the split check phenomenon, including links to articles like this that suggest it can contribute to a failed friendship. I would have to agree...I'm definitely liking you less if I feel like I am always getting cheated when I go out with you. How people don't realize that doing this may not be fair to the entire party is beyond me, but I'm guessing they are rolling in a lot more dinero then I am....or that by splitting it they are getting a pretty damn good deal.

Basically, the moral of this story is...
Don't be a dumbass. Think before you suggest equal division of the check. It is worth taking the time to add the numbers because at the end of the day you'll still have all of your friends.

No comments: