Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hazey Days

Nothing like waking up to see the weather report read 83 degrees at 7am, only to be 95 by mid day. Forget about partly cloudy or sunny, today is described as “haze”. Yep, its one of those days where before you make it to work you’ve already sweat out pints and that morning fresh feeling is a distant memory. And don’t even tell me that in other places it gets much worse, because being a FL native, I am well aware. However it’s a whole different ballgame when you have that heat in a city with nothing much to soak it up except for a few parks, thank goodness.

Never mind me so much, I’m in flowy tank tops/dresses with my hair up, but what about the suits? How do you guys do it?? I was waiting for the subway this morning, fanning myself like crazy with whatever scrap of paper I had in my purse and I couldn’t help but notice the guy next to me in slacks and a button down shirt, obviously on his way to work. He was so miserable. His nicely pressed shirt was literally soaked with sweat stains on the back and his forehead was dripping. If I had to wear pants and long sleeves in this weather I would have a heat stroke.

So my new obsession is that show Man vs. Wild on the Discovery Channel. If you haven’t seen that show yet, I suggest watching at least one episode. The “Man” on the show is Bear Grylls. “After serving in the British Army Special forces unit, Bear became the youngest British man to return back alive after climbing Mount Ama Dablan and Mount Everest”. Impressive in and of itself, but even more impressive after watching the show. He basically demonstrates survivor skills in any situation or location. He is so knowledgeable and resourceful you can’t help but become addicted. Yesterday I watched as he was dropped off in Iceland and then in the French Alps. It’s pretty amazing, and it doesn’t hurt that he’s cute as a button. In the French Alps episode he at one point is completely naked…. which almost led me to severe burns in the kitchen as I was watching and cooking at the same time. Anyways, give it a whirl. It’s a nice departure from the “man with the 400lb pound tumor” shows that are normally on that channel.

Although a warning…don’t ever watch “A Haunting in Connecticut” on Discovery. It took me like 4 years to get over. More on that later.

No comments: