Thursday, August 05, 2004

On the road again

Well my little trip to St. Augustine has come to an end and we should be getting on the road in an hour or two. It was a good time filled with many memorable moments as always. I really love how close my family is, sometimes I forget that not every family is like that.

Im not sure if I could live in a little city like this or not. I love the history and all that, but at night time, its just a little creepy around here. We decided to go on this walking ghost tour last night at like 8pm. We thought it would be fun. I had gone on one in Savannah years ago as well as on the "Jack the Ripper" tour in London, and both were enjoyable. So anyways, with St. Augustine being America's oldest city, we figured there would be some good stories. Plus, this tour had been featured on the travel channel and and discovery channel, so we figured it would be good. It was a rainy night to start, and at around 8pm the streets of the historic area become pretty barren as most shops have closed up. We went to a couple of Bed and Breakfasts and heard their stories of poltergeists and all that. It wasnt too scary up until that point because the tour lady kept going into extensive detail which got tiring. That was at least up until the graveyards. I've always thought that graveyards are creepy, but when you look at one that has been there for hundreds of years, it looks straight out of a horror movie. The fact that we stood right in the middle of the opening gates didnt help. She told us all of the stories regarding a few of the bodies that lay there. She pointed to this one little gravestone of a 5 year old boy and told us how he is frequently seen climbing this huge tree in front of us. Apparently they have captured this on film. The whole time we were standing there, with this tree's branches hanging over us I could not bring myself to look up at the tree, terrified at the though that my brain would make me see something that wasnt there.

So after that cemetary she led us to a few other places and we were now pretty deep into the heart of the historic district. I was joking with my sisters saying "what if she takes us to that last cemetary instead of where we started and then is just like 'ok everyone thats it, have a good night', and then leaves us stranded". We laughed it off because we knew it would never happen. Except that it did. After visiting the last cemetary she gaves us an "ok that its everyone, have a good night"....just as I was thinking, wtf she cant be serious. Well she was and headed off in her own little direction. The rest of the crowd went their separate ways and my sisters and I were left standing next to the graveyard. We sort of knew where we had to go, but it included walking down this old street that we had just come from....the same street that walked right next to the graveyard with the 5 yr old ghost...and the same street that at this point was dead silent and dark. We seriously had no idea where we were. Just when I was beginning to freak, my cell rang, it was my parents asking if the tour was over yet. I told them how we were standing in some street with no idea where to go. Luckily...my parents turned out to be right around the corner and we saw them immediately. That was a huge coincidence though....I mean of all streets they ended up on that one and the same exact time we did, at like 10 pm at night. The other thing I thought was weird was that I get no reception in the historic area, not even one bar, but when they called I had full service...and immediately after I had none. All in the same area. I think Ive got my fill of ghost tours for a while.

I wish I was just going home to do nothing for a week but soak up the sun on the beach, but I leave tomorrow morning for NYC as the apartment hunt moves into full force. From what Ive seen so far this week, there are very few 2 bedroom apartments for rent in the West Village. Apparently everyone has told Ann (who has been there for a few days already) that anyone who has a 2br in the WV most likely holds onto it, you know, for life. Super. So anyways, I guess now we are looking more in the East Village. There are definitely more places to rent there and they are more affordable, its just that my commute to school will suck. Is transferring subways really that bad? Everyone has told me to avoid it. Maybe it wont be that bad. I mean, I got to school three days a week, and none of those times are during rush hour. I guess Ill just wait and see.

Anyways, time to pack up my stuff, just so I can drive home and repack it. Wish me luck in nyc and that I dont get some shithole place.

Ps- We are staying in a friend's place while they are away...in the financial district. Should be interesting.

No comments: