Monday, December 04, 2006

Snowflakes & Cheesesteaks- the first hints of winter

So on my cold walk to the subway today I saw the first trickles of this winter's snowfall. To me, someone who has grown up and spent most of her life in Florida, winter still fascinates me and yes, after over two years of living here, I still get giddy about the first snowfall. Let's not state the obvious, we all know New York City is an amazing place, but there is something about the city at Christmas time that makes it magical. If you have never visited NYC in December, I highly recommend it.

It's suppose to get in the twenties tonight, which means that tomorrow morning will be only that much harder to break from the nestled warm cocoon I create in my bed. This morning I pushed snooze 7 times. Seven. And it was only in the 40's today. Its going to be a long winter. I love it though. At least right now I do. Talk to me again mid February when I am taking my morning walk to the subway station in 15 degree weather while walking through slush. Something tells me I am going to sorely miss my old apartment that was so close to the subway.

The new apartment isn't bad though, its actually quite nice. I'm still getting use to the neighborhood. At first I felt sort of out of place, probably because I didn't have a dog or a stroller attached to me, but as I explore a little more, the Upper East Side isn't that bad, although I think I'll always be a Greenwich Village girl at heart.

For some reason on really cold nights I get this craving for a Philly cheesesteak. Sounds weird, but the first winter my old roommate and I spent here we found this AMAZING cheesesteak place in the village. Seriously, best cheesesteak Ive ever had, and I'm quite the critic. Well I would say we ordered from them at least twice a week that winter. The amazing-ness of these sandwiches cannot be described, you've just got to try them. For any NYC'ers, if you haven't tried Wogie's, you are seriously missing out. I don't know where I was going with this, but now I am seriously hungry. I doubt Wogie's on W10th will make a delivery to the East 80's. That would be one long bike ride. Damn.

Looks like its Tuna Helper. I can hardly wait.

No comments: